Is Your Web Hosting Service Holding You Back?
The massive amount of money being poured into Internet business has pushing development faster than anyone could ever have expected. Firms that can spend millions to develop their site and servers raise the bar for all of us.
The simple web sites that worked just fine 18 months ago seem like dinosaurs today. Now customers expect eye-catching design, targeted content, interactivity, multi-media presentations, even instant customization.
If your web hosting company doesn't offer key features and reliability, your site will have "yesterday's news" written all over it. Here are four developments you should look for when upgrading to a better host.
- Insist on first rate technical support. The days of making customers wait days or
even weeks for their site to come back up are long gone. If your hosting company
doesn't answer your email or phone call within a few hours, it is time to look for
a service that does. You should expect a guarantee: if you don't get tech answers
within a specified time, your service should be free.
- While you're at it, make sure your new host has the technological upgrades that
prevent down time. We've found servers have far better reliability and speed when
in a climate-controlled environment with back-up power and fire-suppression systems,
bandwidth-on-demand connections, and server drives with an excellent track record.
In order to have the fastest site possible, find a Web Host with "OnNet" connections,
which means their Data Center is directly on an Internet backbone instead of
connecting to it from miles away.
- Make sure your host allows audio and video streaming along with popular Shockwave support.
Now that AOL has embraced the Real Audio format, we can expect millions more to jump on
the multimedia bandwagon. If your site only offers static text, visitors will see you as
two steps behind the times. Plus, you will be missing out on the 50% increase in sales
that audio and videoimmediately bring.
- Our host should give you complete control in administering your website and make it easy for you to do that. Instead of requiring Telnet and programming knowledge, they should have a user friendly interface for things such as setting up mailboxes, adding automated newsletters, adding Front Page extensions, setting up shopping carts, using Web Forms, viewing your statistics, and other important functions. An easy web-based interface will save you time and frustration because you can do all these things yourself instead of relying on a programmer or waiting for your host's support staff to get around to it.
Take a long look at not only what you need to have now, but what your Internet operation will need in the months to come as you succeed and expand. Plan for additional pop accounts, email aliases, domains, and more. Above all, make sure your hosting service is HELPING you get your site to the next level.
From the beginning...
- Superb Internet Corporation founded, using exclusively Sun SPARC servers, based out of a Maryland data centre facility
- Superb is first to offer name-based virtual hosting
- In 12 months, the number of Internet host computers goes from 1 million to 10 million
- Average cost for a gallon of gas, $1.22
- Superb is first to offer unlimited site, third-level domain wildcard (*) hosting
- Superb offers PC servers in addition to Sun SPARC servers
- Microsoft buys small stake in Apple Computer for $150,000,000
- Dolly the sheep becomes the first mammal clone
- The ideal American family, 'The Simpsons' becomes the longest-running primetime animated series
- Superb introduces low-cost Cobalt RaQ servers
- Founding charter member, together with other largest and most reputable hosting companies of the day, of the Web Host Guild, an industry best-practices and customer-advocacy organization - the first of its kind in the industry
- Google is founded & launches revolutionary search engine technology
- Windows '98 released
- Apple Computer unveils the iMac computer, in many colors
- Final Seinfeld episode airs in May. Loyal viewers become more aware of good samaritan laws
- Y2K theories create widespread panic, which turns out to be all for nothing. The world still turns, just with a two and three zeros
- Companies spend over $1,000,000,000 in online advertising; spending more online than TV, radio or print budgets
- Superb's first data centre, DCA1 in Georgetown, Washington, DC opened; all operations moved from third party data centre in Maryland to DCA1 in DC
- 24x7x365 phone support introduced
- Major network upgrade to OC-12 SONET ring in the DC-VA-MD metropolitan area
- badinvestment.com - The .com industry crashes
- Millions of people stop trying to set the clock on their VCRs as DVD players become more affordable
- Superb and its CEO awarded in Web Hosting Magazine's Best of 2000 awards in its January, 2001 issue: Most Conscientious Citizen (Haralds Jass) and Best Host for Resellers (Superb Internet)
- Industry's first Virtual Private Server (VPS) service introduced, known as the Superb Power Servers (SPS)
- Superb Internet awarded the Best Host award in Shared category at the reputable Web Hosting Expo, the industry's largest yearly event
- Superb CEO delivers address on customer surveys and customer care at Web Hosting Expo
- They've got worms! The code red (WORM) virus attacks 250,000 websites on Microsoft IIS web server
- Accessible knowledge becomes a collective effort; Wikipedia launches its open-source encyclopedia site, informing millions and mis-informing a few along the way
- Thousands of children skip school to see the first Harry Potter movie
- Apple releases the iPod, changing the music business forever
- Microsoft releases Windows XP, the last properly functioning version of the Windows operating system
- Superb CEO awarded "Man of Action" Award by the Web Hosting Magazine, the industry's largest and most reputable magazine
- According to the Web Host Magazine Superb Internet's determination to rely on a rock solid, long-term business plan and a serious commitment to our customers has helped us to successfully "Survive The Hosting Glut"
- Our second data center(DCA2), was opened in Tyson's Corner, McLean, Virginia
- Low-cost SuperbServers.net launched
- The Mars Odyssey finds signs of water on the planet
- Our coast-to-coast IP backbone born: network extended to Chicago and California
- Launched the new interactive ordering system, where customers can custom-build and order online their Linux, FreeBSD & Windows managed dedicated server - one of the first in the industry
- We are selected as the #1 Shared Web Hosting Provider and the Best Performing Company in the Web Host Directory
- CoveSoft customer base and servers acquired, moved from its Maryland facility to our DCA2 data centre in McLean, VA
- SEA2, our third data centre, in Seattle, WA opened
- DCA1 data centre consolidated into DCA2 data centre
- DCA3, our fourth data centre, in Springfield, VA opened
- In order to accommodate our continued growth and need for top talent, headquarters office moved from Vancouver, BC to Honolulu, HI
- Introduced GridIron, a one-of-a-kind fully redundant and infinitely scalable grid-computing-based shared hosting platform, the result of 100s of man years of development
- Massive access layer Cisco network upgrade performed at all three data centres (all access switches replaced, increasing throughput capacity for customers many fold)
- Network FWSM service, at the distribution layer, introduced at all data centres, thus enabling every customer to easily enable network firewall & DDoS protection service on the fly
- Major core Cisco network upgrade performed, across all data centers and PoPs (all core routers replaced), in order to upgrade each router to 200-320Gb/s throughput capacity
- IPv6 introduced at the Cisco network core layer
- Seattle area (SEA1, SEA2) network capacity upgrade: network capacity increased 10-fold
- Superb Internet corporation named: best dedicated server company
- Superb Internet Dedicated Servers get Unlimited Traffic with Increased RAM
- Hosting Company Cyber Monday: 99% Off Web Hosting
- Dedicated Server Company Releases Largest Black Friday Hosting Deal to Date
- Dedicated Server Company Superb Internet Announces Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale
- Superb Internet Launches Exclusive SEO Hosting Services
- Superb Internet Launching New Xeon E5-2600 Series Servers
- Superb Internet partners with e-online data to deliver a Turnkey Reseller Hosting Solution that is 100% white label
- Seattle area (SEA1, SEA2) network capacity upgrade: network capacity increased 10-fold
- Superb Internet Celebrates 16th Anniversary with Gift Card Promotion
- Superb Internet and OnApp Launch Turn-Key CloudPOD Service
- Superb Internet Offers New IaaS Business Strategy
- Superb Internet Awarded GSA Schedule 70 Contract
- Superb Internet Achieves ISO 27001:2013 & ISO 9001:2008 Certifications
- Superb Internet Corp. awarded as first Cloud Service Provider to sell Cloud Computing Services to all level of government agencies.
- Superb Internet improves their already industry-leading Service Level Agreement (SLA), guaranteeing 100% marks in many aspects.
- Superb Internet launches their 2nd-gen massively-scalable cloud solution, ThunderCloud
- Superb Internet Celebrates 22nd Anniversary